Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Category 13: Vice


Eric

Richard

Khurram

Derrick

Gluttony

Gambling

Women

Drinking

The rule for this category is simple: Players may draft one vice that may or may not eventually come to harm them down the road. After some initial confusion, Eric started off this category with the vice of Gluttony. In other words, his potential downfall could come from eating excessively. Its not a “sexy” vice, but it was a good pick. Upside: Delicious food all the time. Downside: Heart Attack, Stroke, Diabetes. Not bad at all.


My choice was gambling. It was a tough call between that and drinking, since I very well could consider both of those vices already. However, I felt that gambling brings more of a thrill and more of a downside (hence the thrill). I’ve gone on blackjack binges of 6 and 8 hours straight, telling myself to get up when I am up a certain amount. If I’m not in Vegas, usually I am not successful. Besides, I think drinking, at least socially, would be more of a crutch for me, not a vice. Upside: Adrenaline rush that becomes addictive every time a card comes out. Winning lots of money. Downside: Going broke. Living on the streets. End up turning to drugs or gambling with your life, since you can get that "high" anywhere else.


Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Good luck with that Khurram. Granted you may experience the highest of the highs with respect to the rest of us. But with women comes the possibility of being broke (just like gambling) or being driven to the bottle. So I guess you could end up just like most of the rest of us. Solid choice. I had never thought of women as a vice until before he made this pick. Now, I really can’t think of a better one. Upside: Pleasant company, "companionship", and many other "things". Downside: See the downside for every other vice on this list, oh and ending up like the next John Bobbitt.


Finally, Derrick closes the category out with drinking. Alcohol can surely be a vice, and its not pretty when it becomes one. As far as upside potential vs. possible repercussions, this one might have the worst return. Nevertheless, its alcohol, so I can’t really knock it. Can I? Upside: Getting buzzed. Becoming more socially able. Getting to enjoy the taste of good liquor. Downside: Alcoholism. DUI's. Going broke. Throwing up. Alcohol Poisoning. Death.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

1st: Women
2nd: Gambling
3rd: Drinking

I can't believe none of us chose gaming. I think that could be a vice.

evilemperordave said...

gluttony
gambling
drinking

Unknown said...

gambling
gluttony
drinking

Richard said...

1st: Women
2nd: Drinking
3rd: Gluttony